Appa and the sea

Sea shores of kollam,


Has shared my life,s upheavals



Lashing waves have always


brought forth feelings of joy into me.



Days when I held your fingers


Walking along the shores


With non-stop questions and


Nagging sibling at my side


Seem a portrait now.



Vague memories of waters sweeping me away,


Anxious sister," I told you not to " uncles,


Laughing brothers and rushing


To shelter in mom,s lap,


Are frozen still shots


From my album of life.


Your khadi clad figure,


Playing cards with your friends


Discussing politics with passion and vigour


While I played in the sands ,


With my brother, sharing


Roasted peanuts with him


Seem to be of a previous era.



We all shared a love


For these lashing waves -


Those beautiful strong waves


Were mute spectators of our lives.



Away from the song of the sea,


For decades together


In my waking dreams and slumbers


Music of the rhythmic slashing waves


Never left my ears.


when I threw behind me


That last morsel of rice into the sea


On the tenth day after your departure,


The heaviness in my heart and the love in it


knew no bounds.



But that moment I knew


That you will be there with me


For years to come


For, you were an ocean of love.



visit to a seashore


Brings back to me


Memories of a khadi clad appa


And his love for me


for we are all lovers of the sea.

Comments

Popular Posts